There are so many reasons being "connected" is the pretty much the best thing ever, but do you want to know what is NOT the best thing ever? Its Ebola. Thing is, Ebola, and a ton of other frightening things that make me never want to leave my house have been around forever, but because we have access to so much information I know way to much about scary things. If you put "Ebola" in Google you get 28,300,000 results. Right. And do yourself a favor and do NOT Google it and click on Images. You literally might quarantine your family until the end of time. I wont even waste my time putting an image of Ebola under a microscope here because if you are a human living in the world right now you know exactly what that looks like.
So all this connectedness has seriously provided me with too much information.....all of it freakin' scary. Sometimes I hear folks blaming the media for scaring us....After all, they do amplify the worst parts of being on this planet for the purpose of ratings, but I dare say we are worse. The incessant posts from freaked out parents on Facebook, the tweets about cancer......by the way did you know that the death rate for the Flu (yes, the Flu) has hovered on average around 32k people per year for the last decade. The FLU!
My latest freakout is of course the Enterovirus D68. My son has Asthma and so now I am that mom forcing him to carry hand sanitizer everywhere he goes, likely planting some sort of OCD seed in his impressionable brain. I have to tell you, I much preferred living in ignorance. So I do this thing where I try to distract myself. Lets try it now.
So in other news. I have been excited since MAY about the Thug Kitchen cookbook...the weirdest part about that being the fact that I do not cook. But anyway, I pre-ordered that puppy months ago and got very excited that it shipped. Well...turns out my BFFs at Amazon shipped it inside a box with our mattress pad and needless to say I'm pretty sure we recycled the whole thing. Nice. So back on Amazon I just went to order again. I highly suggest the Thug Kitchen Blog while you anxiously await my review of the actual book.
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Don't waste your time trying to find any of those funny ass video clips on the inter-webs because Lorne Michaels has that shiz on lock down.... otherwise I would have grabbed it and plopped it here for your enjoyment. I digress...
We actually ARE back--in our home sweet home. To recap....Jan:lots of snow, lots of power loss. Feb:more of the same....no power, lots of fires in the fireplace and next thing you know our roof is on fire. Damn. Cue quick move with nothing but the clothes on our back to a furnished apt. I'm sure I will work up the courage to describe the 5 months in that apartment at some point because it will make for some hilarious posts but for now its all about celebrating being HOME.
Here are my top 10 reasons I #lovemyhome. Please feel free to comment on yours!
- My big ass, upgraded, pillow topped, soft sheet having sleigh bed!! I wish I could enter a sleeping contest because I have been waiting to train for something like that my whole adult life.
- The pantry. How lame that this is second on my list? There is something satisfying about knowing I have a shelf space carved out for massive amounts of dill pickles, crackers, pasta, skittles and paper products. Why is that a luxury? Maybe I need to rethink what is actually exciting in this life.
- Dare I say the garage? It took 16 years of street parking for this to inch into my top three. but it has a solid place there.
- The mud room. How was a mud room never a thing when I was growing up. We all so desperately needed it...or maybe we didn't but how didn' t we?? Is it wrong that I look for pics of cool mud rooms on pinterest?
- Space. I knew I liked to be alone; truly by myself sometimes. But it took living in a very small apartment to realize just how much I need to have alone time to maintain my sanity. I didn't care for people in the kitchen looking at my boobies while I was getting dressed in the bedroom, those two areas being only about 4 feet apart. Yes, I know this is a FWP, first world problem.
- My kitchen counter tops. Because they are sparkly and sparkles make me very happy. And everything in that kitchen is gray....my favorite color. Gray is Perfection, PS can someone tell me whether its gray or grey officially?
- My "gym." Yep I have gym in quotes. I do workout .....I try for 6 days a week and I get in 3-4 (sometimes 5..sorry Tracy Anderson) I call this a gym loosely because its a room in the house that is unfinished...no ceiling or drywall...just some kid art to cheer things up. But its my space , which per above, I tend to love.
- My shower. Who needs a tub? Not this girl. One of my favorite hotels, in Boulder, CO (the St. Julian) has these great bathrooms where the showers feature beautiful river rock. That was my inspiration. And bonus, it feels great on your feet.
- My closet. Its huge. 3 Indian families could live in this space, which some days fills my cup with guilt. But not enough guilt to sell our house and give India the money. See above reference to FWP.
- It's our home. We worked hard to buy the raw land, we designed and built our home. We watched it burn down and we built it again. We live in the quiet pasture of a horse long gone called Banjo, and we love it.