Thursday, May 05, 2011

Being rich and Famous in the age of Snookie

I have been thinking a lot lately about the people of the world who are rich and famous.  When I was a kid, in order to be rich and famous, you had to either look REALLY special (Farrah Fawcett) or you had to have some serious talent.  Now and again there were the sons and daughters of the rich and famous who slipped through the cracks...by association, if you will.   But I'm fascinated by the fact that today, it seems, you need no associations, no remarkable talent or even good looks to become rich and famous (however fleeting the fame may be).  Some days this makes me angry.  Others, it's exciting! Opportunity awaits!

A few weeks ago I read that Snookie got paid $32,000 to speak at Rutgers. What!? She got paid more than Nobel-winning novelist Toni Morrison!!  Suddenly my master's degree seems like money not well invested.  But I don't get angry that someone with no exceptional talent or good looks can make 75% of the National average household income for one speaking engagement.....I get angry that I'm not making that much! Thoughts?

No comments: